Saturday, March 28, 2009

I.Q. of Zero


I just got my butt kicked by something that has an I.Q. of zero! No, it wasn’t some idiot driver on the road; that would be easier to defend myself against. For a few moments, I got beat up by my emotions. Doesn’t happen often, and I know why…but this time I did.

During my bout with these criminal feelings that attempted to rob me of my joy, I immediately began asking, “Why…why do I feel this way?” And if you’ve ever let negative feelings…with a zero intelligence quotient get the best of you, then you know depression is next.

Some wonder why these crazy feelings seem to just come into our heads without an invitation and then take over…a sort of coup d'état, ganging up on us all-at-once. To keep this post from becoming too lengthy, I’ll quickly share with you what I’ve learned over the years in my journey with Jesus.

I’ve learned that I’m susceptible to all kinds of negative emotions if I’m fearful, fatigued, frustrated, or sinning. And here’s the cool thing…I can control all of these. With fear, I can trust God. Fatigue, I can get rest. Frustration, I can turn to others and God for help. Sin, I can submit to God. Check out Isaiah 41:10 and James 4:7 for Scripture that supports this.

Now, how about you? What do you do when you feel bummed out, beat up, or burned out? Instead of losing your perspective and rationale, why not pause and assess your situation? Do you need to trust God, get rest, ask for help, or submit to God?

That’s what I’m going to do as soon as I’m done writing this. You? You can win over the oceans of emotions by doing any or all of these beginning now!

www.realitychurch.com

No comments: