Wednesday, April 1, 2009

What Do I Do?

What do you do when you don’t know what to do? What happens when you have the facts you need or the information at hand, but you don’t know what to do with it? For example, you know your kid has a substance abuse problem or your marriage is hitting the skids or your investments are tanking. What do you do? Really, what do you do?

Recently, I have needed to pursue wisdom for things I’m facing. I may have all the facts concerning the matter, but still lack the insight I need to proceed.

Here’s a quote I’ve heard many times before. “Knowing about something is one thing; knowing what to do with what you know is something entirely different.” The idea is that knowledge, by itself, isn’t enough to cause you to make right decisions. What’s far more valuable is knowing what to do with the knowledge you have. The former is of course called knowledge; the latter is called wisdom. Wisdom trumps knowledge every time, which begs the question, how does one acquire wisdom?

Earlier this week I met with my staff and posed this question, “How do you get wisdom for the inevitable circumstances of life?” Here were our answers: [1] Go first to God in prayer. [2] By reading after and listening to godly people. [3] Keep your nose in The Book (the bible). [4] Learn from the past. [5] By developing the art of observation.

I love the words of Abraham Lincoln who said, “I have been driven many times to my knees by the overwhelming conviction that I had nowhere else to go. My wisdom and that of all about me seemed insufficient for the day.”Stop scratching your head wondering what to do next. Instead, adopt these five amazing ways to get wisdom!

www.realitychurch.com

No comments: