Friday, March 20, 2009

Running on Fumes

I ran a red light today...on purpose. Looked all around for cops as I sputtered through the intersection hoping I wouldn't get busted. Fortunately, they were busy elsewhere catching real criminals or something.

Why'd I run the red? Because awhile back, ABC News' John Stossel, reported that automobiles are made to go extra miles, sometimes 40 or more extra miles, when your tank reads "empty." So I put it to the test...and lost. I knew I needed to put gas in my car soon, but thought that, based on Stossel's report, I had more miles left. I was wrong.

Driving home from work, I started sputtering pretty badly and was still about a mile from the nearest station. Not wanting to get stuck, I was hoping that I could make it while running on fumes. That's when I broke the law (sorry) and ran the red. I needed to fill the empty tank.

The implication is clear: If you and I keep using up fuel without refilling we're gonna gas out! It's just a matter of time. It's crucial that we refuel our lives with some spiritual nitro, like God's Word. Why? Because we're giving out everyday to our spouse, kids, work, school, boyfriend, girlfriend, church, community, etc.

If you keep giving yourself away without filling your emotional and spiritual tank, you're going to start running red's in your life within a year's time.

If you want some high-octane fuel for your soul then decide now to invest at least 15 minutes a day, say, Monday thru Friday to fill up your mental and spiritual tank with God's word (the Bible). Need wisdom for daily living? Begin in Proverbs. Have big problems and need encouragement or comfort? The Psalms are for you. Want to know all about God? Start with the Gospels (Matthew, Mark, Luke, and John).

www.realitychurch.com

No comments: