Wednesday, May 13, 2009

Jerks, Grief, and Grace

Sometimes things trigger other things and they trigger other things and you wind up thinking about something you had no intention of contemplating. For instance, tonight as I was driving home from my last counseling session, I begin thinking about how much God puts up with stuff from people like me!!

I began to think about how much of a jerk I sometimes am to God and how much I must grieve Him at times. Then I just told Him what I just told you and praised Him for His goodness and grace toward me. I wound up just smiling in my car as I talked with the Lord and as I did, I was trying to tell Him just how good I thought He was…even when He disciplines me. The word I came up with that meant the most to me tonight was ‘lovely.’ Lovely in every way. Every single way.

This passage of Scripture from the Bible describes what I mean:

“The loyal love of the Lord never fails! His mercies never cease, otherwise, we would have been destroyed. Great is his faithfulness; his mercies begin afresh each morning.” Lamentations 3:22-23

Yep, that’s exactly how I feel about my God. The more I get to know Him, the more I love Him. The more I love Him, the more I want to get to know Him.

Next time you’re out driving alone, go ahead and turn off the radio or CD and instead, take some much needed time to just think about how good and gracious God is to put up with people like you and me without flicking us into oblivion.


www.realitychurch.com

No comments: